Sometimes i wonder what it would be like to have like 89 people telling me how awesome and spectacular and cool i am just so like, i could make it to my measly job. I'm pretty sure, knowing me, it would get real annoying real fast and im probably spill my coffee on someone and then curse. I forget that like, most people frown on cursing. I kinda invent a new curse word every time a pencil lead breaks. So once im going on and on to my theRapist and she said something like, you never really had a real support system. and i kinda trail off like...what? My family is all knitted close like a sweater. But...there was a lot of hiding there. No one knew or knows most of what i did or do. I went to therapy and all that to deal with it. I have a friend in rehab. I am freaking out, ya know? talking to her and calling and worrying and i think how come no body ever did this shit for me?
No body ever babied me. Of course for years I held my girl friends away and was like a parasite on some dude i was demanding be my BEST FRIEND until they demanded i be a WIFE. (um oops no sorry bye) Did i push people away? do I? To engage in an eating disorder and a self injury obsession and even a magical thinking twisted up depressive episode you have to hold people BACK. bc they can't know. bc for one - You cant continue the behavior without their judgement and 2 - well it is embarrassing. Or worse no one will believe you. Most ED sufferers think they are waaaay too fat to have an E.D.
When i opened up about things, very early, it was met with awkward rejection. so i just learned to stfu ya know? I had to hold on to some sense of self - I didn't pretend to be something i wasn't i just refrained from revealing much of anything...to anyone.
until art school.
that paint brush was a wand that did not lie.
No one understood really,but that was okay.
This was my reality. soooo confusing to critique a painting that the professors thought was abstracted reality and I thought it was ACTUAL REALITY.
I see dead people. ha,ha no really. i am dead.
I will not allow myself to ever get that depressed again.
Will I have to sacrifice my art? creativity? i don't know but when people compare mental illness and creativity like it is some novelty i get real aggravated.
bc it is hard to say if was worth it. I did some of my best work in a horrible state of
starved paranoid stoned death lust panic....
was it worth it?
i wont do it again. if i cant help it, i wont do it again.
was i healing? yes. was it cathartic? yes.
Was the suffering and fear unimaginable to the point i feel terror at the thought of going back?
yes. Am i much better now? yes and more open with people, too.
I still won't admit things that happened. to anyone. ever. hardly.
but the thing is - i mean no one really cares anyway.
sometimes that is a good thing. the anonymity of modern life.
im okay with it ,i have a thousand gods inside me.


9 comments:
Aw, I (random stranger on the internet) care, for whatever that's worth.
thank you so much! i wasnt trying to sound too pitiful lol...but i just feel like im a thousand miles out on the edge of the universe sometimes...
and when someone finally comes a long..i say just the WRONG thing.
thanks for connecting
s
A friend today was giving me this little lecture about, 'just because the world doesn't value you doesn't mean you're not valuable!' so I'll pass that along to you. :) I get that feeling where it's like 'I'm no longer even in left field, I've left the ballpark entirely'. Can get lonely so far from the center but is so much more interesting.
the last post, it's where she lies, says it all. gives me goosebumps. hmmm.
we all deserved to be babied. i think our age, we sometimes have to ask for it. sometimes, i can be good about this. give and take. it's okay to take.
there's got to be some ideal outlet for your work. it all seems like actual reality to me.
have you ever found a professor who got it? have you submitted your work somewhere where they really appreciated it?
don't give up, shawna. on anything!
thank you for your wonderful, lovely comments on my blog. and the review on blogcatalog.
you made my day, month, year... really, really thank you.
okay, i'm going to try this again.
shawna, i'm losing my mind. now, i'm posting constantly on your blog. one day, i will learn how to use a computer. well, maybe not. where's my pencil?
you are so interesting, throughout! i love reading your blog. this painting is genius.
thank you for your comments!
wanderer yr blog is so uplifting, your good vibes shake off the screen :)
Lissa - yeah i found 2 profs that encouraged me even when the didn't fully comprehend my imagery, they recognized that i was doing something important. They are still my friends! Since we had an all male staff one of them even introduced me to a woman artist who did work along the same theme as me. Her work is maddeningly WONDERFUL. I am actually in crisis right now bc she has cancer and is not expected to live much longer. she was my mentor and meant so much to me.
I have only submitted work a few times and guess i have not found the right place. a few years ago i even wrote to the something fishy website and a few other recovery sites. nothing ever came of it tho.
thank you again for your comments!
shawna, you amazing woman, hope you are doing well. thinking of you and wishing you light and happiness and strength and courage and SERENITY
im off to treatment for 30 days, so will be out of blog land.
thank you for all your awesome support, and i will definitly miss your beautiful creative and colourful blog while im away.
x lou
Post a Comment