6.05.2009

Oleandar. Physical/Emotional Growth

She is not finished but...Argh! I wanted to make the missing arm reared back, as if she were going to throw something toward you..viewer...then I though of how much I would like the body/balance of having her armless. But armless bound figures were the norm for me for sooo long that i truly think adding arms signified personal growth for me. It was only AFTER I gave Jacob his Christmas painting that  realized she had two arms and I didn't even debate it. She just had them. I believe it is bc I felt strong in that relationship. (and confused by it  - which is why I so debated giving her hair) Her huge hand were so ABLE.
I don't know.
I feel so compelled to make these pictures and only later do i see how the images fit in with what was going on in my life (and in my  head) at the time. That is why all my art is art therapy...and always has been...even though it was not intentional.
That, also, is why i am afraid of showing it..promoting it...even though part of me wants to soooo badly 
Also, I do not like to draw things the way they look,but rather the way they feel and that is often criticized by people who rely heavily on technical skill - realistic portrayal. Admittedly, I have a long way to go skill wise and  slowly adding more body parts to my figures (hands, arms) indicates a technical growth as an artist as well as emotional growth. uh,.. i think. How about that!

No comments:

Whatcha think? Rate me!?