So this is a new painting called The Ruined City. Yes, I am painting the end of the world. WELL.
Okay, It's not the end, really, just the way a really crowded crumbley city feels to me. And this is Louisiana and we know about crumbling cities.
I worked the hell out of the surface to get the cracklies in there and I am pretty happy with them.
Once a prof said to me, Ghost Girl, if no one buys your paintings it is because no one wants to be reminded that they are going to die. Bwahahhaha! Really? I think about it all the time, i always have. Not on purpose, either. I finally stopped obsessing but....i mean i still think about it. But it is only bc i LOVE BEING ALIVE (er usually) NOW. and Life tastes like strawberries and sticky sunshine kisses. But you can't just forget the cold death chill. Besides, i have seen some death and I wont forget it - it would be a dis-service to all living things to ignore it....as it would be to put death above LIVING. So love your life to death, says I. And move forward carrying your battle scarred heart. and sing a song of re-membrance and re-growth. Bc out of the ruins, we will rise.
.jpg)
12 comments:
I really like the surface texture you've created - it adds to the sense of destruction - great painting!
Hann x
Thanks, Hannah!!
Great post! Great piece!
Such wise words!
"Bc out of the ruins, we will rise."
:-)
The painting is amazing, and the texture turned out really well. I love the way you write."Life tastes like strawberries and sticky sunshine kisses." I love that!
Enjoy your weekend:)
I really like this. And what you have to say about it (and death) as well.
Thanks for your comments!
i had a long weekend away from the computer and it was nice to return to your words!
:)
You have a real talent. This painting is beautiful, I wish I could see it in person.
the painting is amazing. how long did it take you?
death is very scarey to me. my brother is the same way. i think it's because my mom was TERRIFIED of it.
i wish i had more peace around the issue. i like seeing pieces around death. it makes me think.
thanks!
I love this painting. I think it depicts New Orleans well. The textures, colors, and its composure are lovely. Sorry I've been so absent on your blog. I'll try to be better about commenting.
Thanks ya'll!
Lissy - it took a few days. i spend a LOT of time waiting for paint to dry, then starting something else and not gettin back to the original project for a week. To get the my cracks and drips, i estimate drying time, use fans and control the environment. Or try to. there are lots of happy accidents in the way i work- which is not very formal. to say the least lol
tiptoe - i am the worst about commenting bc i get anxious about it- internet stranger stage fright or something!! I always get behind on my reading, too but i eventually catch up. Glad we got reconnected.
its funny, I didn't paint new orleans on purpose. I was doing these watery cityscapes..eventually it dawned on me that NOLA had a huge influence. ...i was looking at my art going....wow..i just painted new orleans....from the swamp side!..
Post a Comment