11.01.2009

Happy Halloween!




Halloween is one of the most important holidays to me... I sincerely dread the winter and coming darkness, all those hours of no sunlight make it hard for my brain...I really feel Like Halloween is a time to get myself prepared for that, and to make it as festive as possible. I spent the first half of the day cleaning - and the second half with two grrl friends...we did the haunted history cemetary tour and watched Paranormal Activity at the local theatre. BUT! the coolest thing is that on the tour, we stopped by a law office that is also the local Historical Society Headquarters and they had a wall full of CLEMENTINE HUNTER ORIGINAlsI had no idea there were so many here in town, and the most famous ones to boot (big chicken) Ironically, this is just the day AFTER a forgery scam in the news. So that was amazing and exciting and I ran into my old Art History Professor so it was good to reconnect with her. I wore my witch had and witchy boots and kept thinking how Halloween is the one day of the year I can dress like I want to and no one STARES (like i wish i could dress EVERYDAY) and there were fabulous costumed strangers roaming about  and there were colorful mums and cornstalks decorating all of downtown.....Today I plan on making oatmeal cookies from scratch to take to some of the professors I am still friends with and then go visit my parents. I never eat the cookies I bake. Still. And I am holding off the loneliness...The air is still warm here but beneath that, the nights are gettin cool ..I am pushing back the cold wind swirling around the trees as they begin to bare their bark bones....Trying desperately to not wish for it to be my bones the cold air clings to. Putting this year to bed...remembering where all the ghosts of me have roamed. Gains and losses.




Sun sets on another year.

3 comments:

ghost girl said...

** i am having SERIOUS trouble formatting my posts. I can't control how my pics and type go...this is extremely frustrating. Also, on my computer, my banner goes all the way across the page, but on my work computer, the banner stops short and there is a huge blank space. I have no idea what Im doing wrong. Note to self - figure it out.

I Hate to Weight said...

i don't know why i'm not fond of halloween. so many of my friends get really into it.

maybe because Mischief Night scares. i'm the biggest scaredy-cat. all the candy stuff scares me to.

great witch-ness, shawna. wish you could dress any way you like every day. why does anyone care?

ghost girl said...

well, this town, even though it has a college) is so small that anyone who is the slightest bit different stands out out like a sore thumb - and will be called out on it usually. That is one reason i think I would like the anonymity of a bigger city; I want to be me, but i don't really want attention.

I went through a long period of being sort of death obsessed...i made it a beautiful thing. I had to, to deal with it. I think that is why i find halloween imagery so wonderful...The thing is though, as I have gotten older i have changed so much and ...I dont know...my feelings have changed. death discussion doesnt make me uncomfortable...but it does frighten me much more. I think as I have become less depressed i realized that i do NOT want to die...and I used to long for it.

Whatcha think? Rate me!?