The news of past week or so has gone and left us shocked and reeling....The stories that keep rolling out of Haiti have many of us feeling forlorn bc there is nothing we can do....We see this suffering and this disaster and then .... go pay the phone bill. I mean, really, the world seems so off balance..you reach out with one hand...leave one hand on your heart...you might lose your balance or the did world's spinning knock you down? Nothing is fair.
I watched several of MLK speeches today and cried. All my cynical friends say nothing has changed much...but I refuse to believe it. For all the evil parts of hearts I see....I can always find a golden one. Battered maybe...but wouldn't you rather fight on the side of Kindness, Grace, Justice, and Equality, even it is the side that appears to lose? I swear I would. I would. My heart can't lose.
I lost faith in a hell of a lot things... a lot of people...a lot of gods...a lot of drugs.....a lot of dreams. But listen, when I see a kind deed or hear a single whisper of encouragement...it explodes in my head...like sparks of color. That is where the truth is..those little moments when our heart strings brush together..in this giant tapestry of pain and confusion and pollution and wildflowers and disaster and shame and forgiveness and hope. That is what we have faith in. I don't know what else I have got here....The things that I can TOUCH are the things that I KNOW I can lose....these wisps in my heart and mind are the only things I know I can believe in. And I am trying really really hard to hold on and to press on against the darkness....
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
3 comments:
I loved this, and I am glad you are holding on to your faith in goodness. It's easy to be cynical, to use that as a shield from pain and disappointment. But you can't experience the fullness of life without faith, without believing in something (just my opinion). Some people may call it naive but I would rather be naive and have hope than be cynical and empty.
My default brain is pretty cynical and pessimistic! - goes hand in hand with my depression..However, im not OKAY with that...anymore. I am really working on it, too. Lately, I have been reading (and posting) quotes made by my heros...It can get overwhelming - life can. But like you, i believe searching for Peace and Hope is well worth the effort..even though it can hurt.
:)
shawna
shawna! thank you for your comment. i was having a tricky time. and throughout today i have just propelled up to being a bit more hopeful again. thank you!
i want to start painting! yours are so amazing.
Post a Comment